*Author’s note: Mrs. Peabody’s recipe was very fussy—lots of JUST SO’s and ABSOLUTELY, POSITIVELY’S and warnings about making messes. Maybelle and her friend Maurice believe in getting to the good stuff fast. The following is their own recipe.
One package ready-made sugar cookie dough
One quarter cup unsweetened cocoa powder
Surprises (caramels, mini-candy bars, chocolate or peanut butter chips, etc.)
One package whole almonds
Here’s What to Do:
- Leave package of sugar cookie dough on counter for one hour until soft.
- Put dough in bowl and add unsweetened cocoa powder; mix well with fork until dough is deep brown.
- Roll dough into balls about width of lovely, plump cockroach (about one and a half inches).
- Press candies into centers of balls and close dough over candies; roll into ball again making sure all candy is covered with dough.
- Put balls on non-stick cookie sheet about one and a half inches apart.
- Bake in pre-heated 350 degree oven for 10 to 12 minutes.
- While cookies are still warm, plunge whole almonds (Maybelles) half-way into the cookie’s “mysterious hearts”; leave Maybelle bottoms sticking out.
- Put cookies on plate (Maybelle loves her food on plates!).
Now go for it! And don’t worry about crumbs and spills — even cockroaches have to eat.